Postmodern classic?

Saturday, April 01, 2006

How many different ways can you title 'boring'

Raining outside, not much going on. Had an interesting run through the country today, nothing too exciting. Switched positions, which should be nice for a break. Got to stay interested over the next couple of months.

One of my heroes pronounced this war over and Vietnam all over again. Martin Van Creveld, a prominent military historian, wrote a compelling article in 2004 making the comparison titled 'Why Iraq will end like Vietnam'. Disagree, but it's a concise and accurate portrayal of some things as they were and some could be. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of room for pessimism. At some point I might record my own misgivings about this whole effort. Although mine will be focused on the execution of the war (maybe even some Sun Tzu nuance about what is a war and all that), not the implied assumptions denying the reasoning behind it or the justification for any war. Some nastiness is ongoing, even with few bright points. I tend to fall into a Michael Yon explanation- civil war has been going on for the last couple decades, now it's on the other foot. Another thing is I don't believe you can fight a 'People's War' with the modern understanding of human rights. Civilization (as opposed to barbarity) is secured by people who will fight for it, not people who willl argue ineffectually at impotent (but well-intentioned) international committees or similar appeals. And barbarians, as some are well aware, only respond to force.

Have to have humor in this world. Humor you can find in the impeccable logic of 'fascism'- I'll know I've arrived when people call me a fascist. That means I'll actually be doing something, instead of immediately claiming victim status and hoping for mercy. Unless you're convinced by drivel like this (14 points of why America is a fascist state)... for the naive dupes of Chimpy McHitlerburton.

I have to add this video, sent by Caesar (all hail!), about the Snack Attack, mofo!

For the best news on the web, we then move on to Scrappleface (News Fairly Unbalanced. We Report. You Decipher). Up-to-date on the latest regarding the Captive Coyote Death and Humans Inability to Manipulate God! Will the resident theologian comment on the last one, please? Not to be confused with those theocrats who are always on the verge of taking over here but ending up in the Middle East (another PJ O'Rourke reference).

Oh, also in my ebook pursuit came across this website, Baen books, that offers quite a bit of selection in the sci-fi department. Reading this one series written by an Airborne guy, and it's odd... clearly written by an insider with a comprehensive view of infantry operations, but to me sometimes cliched, heavily gear-fetishization and odd character archetypes. Best scifi ever written is still William Gibson's 'Neuromancer' which I just reread, and now have on my computer. Sony, release soon!

And that's another day in Iraq.

4 Comments:

  • okay so how about a blow by blow account of what a day is likefor you. woulod love to hear what the hell you are actually up to. somehow i'm beggining to think it involves young girls, plenty of booze and sleeping in. i could be wrong though...

    written by a wise ass family man with a new addition to hte family i thought you would like to know about...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:04 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:04 AM  

  • I haven't seen the Chronic(what?!)cles of Narnia, but it looks pretty good. Especially with Red Vines and Mr. Pibb. How could anyone turn down the Oscar winner for Best Makeup?
    -Caesar

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:00 AM  

  • Young girls, sleeping in, plenty of booze... sounds great, where do I sign up? Here, you mean? Not quite that way, I'm afraid to say. I'll write a daily account here soon- but as for 'blow by blow' it won't be that exciting. Especially since my mom reads this site. Did I mention Iraq is very, very safe?

    Trying to figure out which friend this anonymous guy is... and the kid reference isn't helpful. I think 3 of my friends have had a kid in the last month or so, but maybe it's the one I didn't send a congratulations to yet... sorry about that.

    Saw a bootleg version of the Chronic (what?)cles of Narnia, and it was.... watchable. Could've used the Red Vines and Mr. Pibb, though. Ah well, can't complain.

    By Blogger sunguh5307, at 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home