Postmodern classic?

Monday, October 09, 2006

Sony Portable Reader is awesome!

I have to post this as a gear afficionado. The Sony Portable Reader is everything it's cracked up to be. Check it out here at the Sony Style store, I went to a nearby mall to pick mine up. It should be available at Borders soon too.

In one word, it's portable- echoing many minor superlatives such as small, energy-efficient, stylish. It's the 2nd generation of Electronic Ink devices, black and white, takes a little while to load, but it's just what I needed. Whenever I travel, I always carry a bunch of books. This time I don't have to worry about it, it all loads up on one device. It even displays some of my more 'guilty pleasures', anime, pretty well. That's what the screen shot would be of above, if I didn't have such a hard time getting the lights to focus on. Unfortunately my photographic attempts will not be gracing this page, so you'll have to rely on Sony's corporate marketing to accurately reflect how nice this unit really is.

There's so much promise for it, it's hard not to be excited. Obviously, the market will have to expand, but imagine it as a substitute for textbooks- instead of filled and burdensome bookbags, just one little device. There are tradeoffs, of course, it takes some time to scroll through material and find what you're looking for in larger files. But still, with a little practice all students from gradeschool to college will think that it's a big plus.

In the future, it'll be faster, in color, bigger, and many other things. More and more books are arriving at the Sony Ebooks store, a decent selection even if some of my favorites aren't listed. Although some are. But I believe that for the next 2-3 years, this thing is the bomb. However, don't take my word for it since I'm an 'early adopter'

1 Comments:

  • Yeah, no problem displaying PDF's. The problem is their formatting: usually the print is set to an 8.5 to 11 A4 paper format, and therefore the print is too small. This is easily rectified by changing the orientation from vertical to horizontal. But make sure the print is dark enough!

    For example, articles from Parameters (www.carlisle.army.mil/usawc/parameters), are usually easily adaptable. However, other organizations printing is too light- reading Lankov's 'North Korean Stalinism' on the bus today was a little more difficult to adapt, although the National Defense University article on North Korea's Strategic Intentions turned out alright.

    Once you get the hang of it, it's alright. I've been reformatting some things in Word, making them bigger and bolder (to be easier on the eyes) then converting it to PDF. My next big experiment is to convert images, that is to say, manga.

    By Blogger sunguh5307, at 4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home