Postmodern classic?

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Summer getting warmer in the ME

I put another post below the previous with a picture of an Iraqi river, but messed up on the timing of it and couldn't change it. Someone more computer savvy could probably fix it, but I'm not bothered. It's getting hotter as the summer comes on- been up to 115, and I'm promised it'll soon be up to 140. I always thought home was hot during the summer, I've been roughly disabused of that! Looking forward to the humidity, sort of...

Iraq is constantly in progress. Not easy to explain, although if you put together pieces of it here and there it starts to make sense. Iraq the Model explains the recent political developments in the progress of the Iraqi government, while Westhawk explains their strategic importance. Bing West at Slate provides a close look at developments in Ramadi, which I can affirm the verity of based on my own experience. Why is that the best coverage is by former military people who actually know what they're talking about, I ask rhetorically.... here's another interesting post by Westhawk on what fledgling democracies under attack should consider in the case of Colombia.

'Hell in Haditha' has been on the news the past couple of days. I've been up in the area and know it's reputation, although I haven't been into the city. Knowing that I have mixed feelings, as many veterans do. On one hand, if they're guilty they should be fully responsible. But on the other- how can you prosecute a war if people don't defend themselves? The truth of the matter is that we don't know the details yet. The best bet in this incident will be to wait and see what the inquiry produces- no matter what Murtha or Chris Matthews and the Talking Heads on TV say. However, it's going to be hard to get a fair airing of the facts with the political importance this case is taking on. The more I hear their two-faced hypocrisy the more I feel that Ghenghis Khan is probably a better model for human rights than them...

The linguists have some more victims- aforementioned Iraq the Model has an interesting post on how CNN (mis)translated an official speech and what that means. Kind of disappointing, but not unexpected. Hugh Hewitt got into Iranian president Ahmadinejad's letter to Bush as well, probing experts on it's meaning. Not too hopeful, let's put it that way. Here is an extremely interesting article on Chinese strategy- Tao Guang Yang Hui, 'Hide brightness, nourish obscurity' (I hate the fact I can't write zi with this computer!) For more Chinese subjects, especially economics, check out Sun Bin, always supplies a thoroughly educated view with facts.

Anyhow, it's been an interesting day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home