Postmodern classic?

Monday, June 05, 2006

Posting limitations

Had a mission in the morning. I would tell more but I don't violate OPSEC/PERSEC (Operational and Personal Security) online- that is, posting details that an informed person could use to generate an accurate description of our activities, as well as any information that could identify me and be used against me. This is not because I do any kind of secret activities, it's more just standard professionalism in this line of work. Consequences can be pretty high: worst case leading to compromising security and death, or just losing my job. But unfortunately it makes for a dull blog at times since I can't really get into the specifics of what's going on besides some vague platitudes and occasional pictures.

In the meantime, trying not to think about coming home next month. Got to get a little sleep before I get on. A 'troll' in a Mudville Gazette comment said I didn't know anything about Marxism- no! Must... resist... urge... I will restrain myself. Even the Manxome one doesn't want me to start my treatise on Karl Marx inspired collectivist utopia evolving into Leninist authoritarian populism! I suffered through those tomes and so will you!

Nah, I'm really tired.

ADDENDUM: Here are some links, discuss amongst yourselves.

Wretchard at the Belmont Club is posting up a storm. Whether it's current events, like the unrest in Iran that is getting no publicity in the major media outlets, or other interesting looks at the UN's effectiveness in East Timor or current deliberations over the utility of doing something in Sudan or journalism in Iraq (via Mudville Gazette)- he's covering it. Anyone who doesn't read his stuff is really missing quite an interesting look into the way our world is developing. In milblogs, Buck Sergeant has an interesting overview on explaining the military perspective from France to Iraq. Much better than crap where people claim to speak for 'Army families', haha...

The Toronto terror bust was quite a big deal, despite odd efforts from certain media outlets to edit their coverage of it. If you have a better explanation, I'd love to hear it by all means.

And over at Cato Unbound is an interesting article on modern economic development, as we move through different trends in different regions of the world. The author, Richard Florida, calls it the importance of knowledge, innovation and creativity- aka the 'Information Economy'. He focuses on how that puts differing emphasis on geographic locations, as those who can will move to places where they have more opportunities. I'll let the resident economists call me on that one, as I'm not a subject matter expert. For me, I find this human urge to classify different economic developments interesting. I don't think that it changes the fundamental human urges to interact as we do in the varying economic spheres of the 'market' (or even armed conflict in it's own way, but I digress). If, during the various modes of industrialization in recent history, we moved towards mass organization, infrastructure and resources; now we appear to be moving back towards the importance of individuals and their contributions to the world. A similar sentiment is observed in related fields, from philosophy to military organization. A new sort of humanism is arising, which might end up differently than we think. Or it just might end up for naught, as the 'Iron Law of Oligarchy' states.

Enough vague theorizing for the day. At least you missed my rant on Marx, haha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home